Monday, October 5, 2009

Lessons learned

I found myself crippled on the couch this weekend... my back was aching and moving of any sort seemed to make matters worse. So with my doctor's advice, I iced my back, took ibuprofen, stretched, did little to aggravate my back, watched General Conference, read and slept. Being laid up makes you think... or at least it made me think. I thought about a lot of things, but most importantly the range of emotions I have been feeling lately.
I have been quite frustrated with the current situation that my body has recently decided to put me through... or more so- that I have put my body through. The weight gain has added fatigue and stress that I have never felt before. I have never been this heavy. This makes me sad. And yet, I am too tired and too stressed out to do anything about it. Or at least this is my excuse. I really am just too lazy. So I have decided (the back pain helped with this decision) that I am going to start doing something about it. Whether it is a bike ride or a walk in the park- every night I am going to do something. I am also going to use the savings that we are going to start receiving once we move into the new condo to enroll Tom and I into a gym. I hoping that because we will pay a pretty penny for this membership that we will actually use it. I would really like to get back into the pool- I seemed to always find my sanctuary there. And its good for the whole body :)

It was also during this weekend, that I found myself wallowing in self-pity because of things that I can't control. As much as I want a child now, I can't control that God doesn't feel like it is the right time. As much as I dislike my job at times because of certain people in my office, I can't control them, so I must look beyond this and realize how much I like my job when I don't pay attention to others. My job has blessed me in so many way. Tom and I are able to buy a home (with Lee of course), we are able to make ends meet and have been able to start saving. And I found a friend that otherwise would not have happened.

I don't hang outside of work with this friend, we just simply talk throughout the day at work. It is so nice. And it goes deeper than just the usual work stuff. We talk a lot about faith. We talk a lot about the love God has for us and how amazing it is that He is willing to take on our burdens. We talk about the differences between our faiths neither one of us trying to convert the other- just talking and asking questions, but the foundation of our faith is the same, a love in Christ and our Heavenly Father that is so strong, it astounds us. I feel lucky to have met her, as she only pushes me to study more, to learn more, to have more faith. She is definitely the newest blessing in my life. :) We also have gone through or are going through very similar things in our lives, from dealing with depression to ex-boyfriends. We are both newly weds and are learning from each other about how to deal with newly wed blues (is there such a thing?). It is nice just to have her around. She is a wonderful example and always has something good to say throughout the day that puts me right on top! I am so thankful for her!!!

General Conference this weekend was amazing! However, thank goodness for DVR. I overslept on Saturday while Tom was out doing a service project for one of the ladies in our ward. He came home so dirty. I waited until he got home to watch Saturday's, but fell asleep soon after I started. I will be watching it with my in-laws as they were helping my brother-in-law move to Las Vegas this weekend. Sunday, I managed to stay up through the whole thing, while Tom slept through most of it. But as soon as it ended, I was out like a light and for pretty much the whole night (But I will call my grandparents tonight :) ). I loved the advice for married couples. My favorite came from Brother Eyring: "First, I give counsel to husbands and wives...Pray for the love which allows you to see the good in your companion...Pray for the love that makes weaknesses and mistakes seem small...Pray for the love to make your companion’s joy your own...Pray for the love to want to lessen the load and soften the sorrows of your companion..."

Brother Eyring also talked about service to others which seemed to be a common theme between all the talks. President Monson talked a lot about serving others and I know in my life that I tend to lack this. It is rare when I find time to service others and that needs to change and soon! Brother Eyring also talked about wanderers from the Church. And that it will be ok... Brother Eyring quoted Orson F. Whitney, "Though some of the sheep may wander, the eye of the Shepherd is upon them...." This is such a reassurance to me. As I prepare to become a mother and plan on raising my kids in the Church, I have been assured that no matter where my children go (whether it is a different faith or they go off to college), God will be watching over them. I think that is my most favorite thing about General Conference- the guidance and assurance that comes from those that have spoken. The Leaders of the Church, people with experience and have had revelation and have faith. The power of Elder Holland's testimony has encouraged me to gain an even stronger testimony, one that will affect people the way Elder Holland's has. His testimony gave me goose bumps and shook my heart. I was simply taken back at how firm he was. I wasn't expecting it at all.

This week, my patience with people was tested as a close family member made a remark about my faith. It is rare that I ever say anything negative about another person's faith, as I have learned that a person with faith is a lot better off than a person without faith, regardless of what it is (I now understand why my Nina made me go to church when I came and visited her in SLC). It wasn't a good remark, but nonetheless, I just pushed it aside and moved forward. However, I continue to think, has this particular faith not done wonders for me and the angry girl I used to be? Has this faith not made me a better person? Has this faith not helped me build relationships with people that years ago didn't seem feasible? I would like to think that we all believe in the same foundation- that Christ was sent here to die for us and that God loves us unconditionally. I would like to believe that even though there are many different faiths in my family, that we can all get along and love each other regardless of our faith. Are people really that small minded to think that just because our faith is different doesn't mean we can't love each other and get along? I don't doubt that this person loves me- don't get me wrong- but to make comments like that, when this faith is the reason my whole life has turned around- I feel was just uncalled for. However, it just reaffirms my faith. Elder Holland's testimony just made me want to gain a stronger testimony and hopefully throughout all trials and tribulations and even through blessings, that is exactly what I can do!

Saturday also brought a bit of a stir when the hills behind us were on fire! I am laying on the couch reading (Eat, Love, Pray is a wonderful book- read it if you have the chance) and I start to smell something burning. I ask Tom, "do you smell that?" He doesn't. A few minutes later, we see smoke and then we hear fire engines. So we hop in our car and drive up towards where the fire engine is going and we see nothing but smoke and it is bad! We decide to head back home to close up the windows and we see airplanes and helicopters circling the area. We then hear firetrucks go up a different direction right behind our complex... Tom decides we are going for another drive! We get to where the firetrucks are heading up the hills and we can see the fire blazing. The wind was making it burn fast! I was a little nervous that we might have to evacuate so I called my mom and she told us to back a bag of things that irreplaceable just in case. We watched the helicopter pour fire retardant on the fire and the firefighters finally get to the fire. They were able to completely contain the fire by 11 p.m. and it made for an interesting moment in our Saturday. It ended up burning 75 acres but stayed in the hills and no one was hurt. :)

So thats it for now!

I hope that this finds all of you well.

Tom and I send our love!
XOXO

I am not sure why the font and size are different and I can't fix it... sorry :(

No comments: