Friday, May 22, 2009

Familes Are Forever

Today has been a surreal day.  As we drove home from my mom's this evening, the car was filled with a silence I had never heard before.  Few words could be said to help soothe the sadness, the grief and the pain that filled the car and the people who sat in it.  
Today started with a drive up north to visit Tom's aunt Shelley who is on life support.  As of yesterday, they were giving her a few days to improve and then they were going to take her off life support.  Today was better than yesterday, but wasn't great.  She can't move, she is frail.  And all Thomas could do was stroke her arm and tell her that he loved her.  We talked with his cousin Kim for a while, and tried to just smile and laugh, but there was something in the room no one wanted to talk about.  Death.  I think this is one of the hardest things in the world to deal with, to let go of people you love, you care about, who had been a part of your life, no matter how big or how small.  It is never easy.  
On the way up to Roseville, my sister called to inform me that my mom's next door neighbor and long time friend, had lost her daughter that morning.  Her daughter's husband had strangled her with their two kids in the house.  I felt sick immediately.  I hadn't met Mia but twice, but I know Kelly (the neighbor and mom) quite well.  Mia was her only daughter.  I still felt great sorrow come over me.  I waited to call my mom for about an hour.  I wasn't sure if I couldn't stop the tears from over flowing down my face.  I wasn't sure what to think at that point.  I just needed to focus on my husband and how he was handling things and then I would move on to my mom.  After about an hour, I called my mom, and she just broke down.   She couldn't imagine losing her only daughter.  She couldn't imagine what would happen to the two children who are only 8 and 5.  She could hardly contain herself.  Thomas and I drove to my mom's and I started to ask questions.  Has there been a history of abuse?  Yes.  Restraining orders had been taken out.  One only 2 weeks ago.  There were so many "I'm sorrys" and "I won't do it again."  Were the kids in the house?  Yes.  What will happen to the children?  Hopefully Kelly will get them, they are the reason for her to live now.  How could this have happened?  I don't know.  Social Services allowed the two children, who I am sure are not clear what is going on, to come and stay with their grandmother.  
I just, I can't believe this.  I don't know how someone can take away someone else's life.  Tom told me a few weeks ago when my grandfather was in the hospital, that death is inevitable.  And yes, it is.  It is a part of life.  We are born, we live, we die.  But, no one but God should decide when we die.  How can someone take two beautiful children's mom away from them?  As I sat in the hospital, I look at Kim and thought, "I am so lucky my mom was there to help me plan for my wedding and to get my ready."  I took that for granted.  Today, I saw two daughters who will never get their mom to help them at their own wedding.  It breaks my heart.  Not only that, but today two kids lost both parents.  
I've never been affected by something like this.  I am not sure how to feel.  I am not sure what to feel.  All I know it tears are flooding my eyes for the hundredth time tonight.  
I pray for my family.  For Tom's family.  I pray for the Hunt family.  I am so thankful that our faith has taught us that Families Are Forever.  I can't tell you how much that means to me.  My only solace tonight is knowing that they can be together again.  That this life is only but a few blinks in regard for the eternity we get to spend with our Heavenly Father.  For that I am so thankful.
Rest in Peace Mia.  

No comments: